About the Diabetes Education Program
The Diabetes Education Program is offered to individuals with:
- Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes
- Pregnant women diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (Diabetes in Pregnancy)
- To learn more or, to schedule an appointment or, to sign up for a group class session, call: 306-786-6363
Where We Are
We are located at the Health & Wellness Centre in Yorkton
#25 – 259 Hamilton Road
(across from Yorkton Dodge/Wal-Mart)
Our program runs Monday to Friday during normal business hours. Evening appointment times are available after 5:00 pm on Tuesday’s. Appointments are also available in Foam Lake Health Centre and Langenburg Health Centre. To schedule an appointment in Yorkton, Foam Lake or Langenburg call 786-6363.
Help from a dietician can be accessed in several communities in the health region. Scroll to the bottom of this page for more information.
We encourage all individuals with a new diagnosis of diabetes (except during pregnancy)* to attend our group class. This class is offered each month and is 3 hours in length. Clients are encouraged to bring a family member, spouse, or support person to attend with you.
At the class we will talk about:
- managing diabetes through diet, exercise and medications
- causes of high and low blood sugars
- what blood work is needed to know if you are managing your diabetes well (and how often blood work should be completed
* if you are diagnosed during pregnancy, an individual appointment is recommended.
Individual appointments are available with the Diabetes Nurse Educator and Diabetes Nutrition Educator (Dietitian). A family member, spouse, or support person is welcome to come with you to these appointments.
During your individual appointment, we will discuss:
- the results of your specific blood work
- the foods that you enjoy eating and how to fit them into your lifestyle
- your individualized plan for managing diabetes
How to Prepare for your Appointment - click here